Linden dynasty family
… Like the Guyana embassy in Cuba trying to help a family
Efforts are currently being made to secure flights back to Guyana for the Jacobis family of Linden, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice), who was stuck in Cuba due to airport closures and flight suspensions. Orville and Latoya Jacobis had traveled to the scene to facilitate emergency emergency surgery for their two-year-old son, who has since been successful.
Since then the family has been in contact with the Guyana embassy in Cuba and officials have indicated that Orville Jacobis would have reached out and spent time trying to get him to fly out of Cuba. Orville Jacobis was initially slated to travel back home two Saturdays ago, while his wife and son were expected to travel last Saturday.
“But the plain truth is that there are currently no CAL flights – and COPA has reduced its 21 flights to Cuba to three a week. COPA’s focus is to get the passengers who traveled with their airline back to their country of origin, ”the Foreign Affairs official told this publication.
The official also noted that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs would have been informed of the facts regarding the state of the Jacobis family in Cuba. The officer added that on inquiry, the child had not yet been formally discharged from hospital and would be officially discharged on Monday, January 11. However, the child’s mother informed this announcement on Friday that her son had been released. He noted that the officer had not yet been informed of this development. He promised to do so at the earliest.
The official had further noted on Friday that inquiries had been made by CAL and COPA Airlines about the possibility of getting the family out of Cuba, but noted that the response was that this was not possible at the time.
“A CAL representative explained that there is a very small possibility that there might be a flight from Havana in the next week (this week). COPA pointed out that a flight out of Cuba is expected on January 19 and possibly January 26, 2021, ”the official said, noting that this was being communicated to a representative of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
In the meantime, the couple has indicated that their top priority is to return home to the rest of their children. Initially, the family had raised the $ 5 million cost for the surgery, through the help of public donations and other donations for which they have since expressed gratitude.