… Get away with guns, ammo, cash
… Open fire on the Force

A 56-year-old businessman and his alleged wife were robbed Monday of several firearms, ammunition and other valuables on the Port Kaituma Water Front, Northwest Region (NWD), by three Venezuelan armed nationals.
Elroy Allam also attacked “Chinee”, a licensed firearm holder and his alleged wife, Shonna Campbell of Port Kaituma Water Front, from the three men at their place of business – “Chinee and Daughter’s General Store.”
Preliminary Police investigations revealed that the couple received a release of one .223 semi-automatic rifle with 30 live rounds of matching bullets plus one magazine; one .32 semi-automatic pistol with ten live rounds of ammunition and two magazines; one twelve-meter semi-automatic shotgun, $ 10 million cash, a quantity of gold jewelry and two mobile phones.
After the men had left, an alarm had been raised and the Police and members were contacted so the Guyana Defense Force (GDF) Coastguard in Morwhanna was contacted.
Based on information received, members of the Joint Services went in search of the three men. It was reported that while Police were in the vicinity of the Aruka River, they had observed a boat with several residents.
However, upon seeing the Police, the occupants of the boat opened fire, forcing them to retaliate by returning fire.
Nevertheless, the boat headed for Morwhanna on the Guyana-Venezuela border where the men compensated for their escape. Police are reviewing the pictures taken from the CCTV cameras as they continue their investigations.
Meanwhile, the Police confirmed that none of the Joint Service ranks were injured during the attack. Police were unable to confirm if any of the suspects were injured.
Back in September, members of the Guyana Defense Force and Guyana Police caught fire in the Cuyuni River, Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni).
Shots were reportedly fired from a Venezuelan shore, according to reports by notorious Syndicato gang members but none of the ranks sustained injuries.
In that regard, Guyanese legislators returned on fire. At the time of the attack, the ranks were patrolling the Guyana-Venezuela border.
“Since then aggressive boating patrols by Guyanese security forces have been intensified in the Cuyuni River area,” the GDF had stated in a press release.
Guyana’s border with Venezuela is over 1000 kilometers long and patrols are conducted regularly.
The GDF had stated that the encounter was not the first and as such, several measures are being explored towards resolution.
Guyana and Venezuela are currently before the International Court as Venezuela continues to submit claims to Essequibo Guyana and part of its exclusive economic zone.

Previous articleJoe Singh has been appointed Chairman of the Board of NAREI