The 2011 murder of Robb St.’s grandmother

Guyana’s Court of Appeal on Thursday ruled March 11, 2021, to begin hearing arguments from four-man lawyers seeking to overturn their 81-year sentences for the 2011 murder of 72-year-old Clementine Fiedtkou-Parris, a gunman in her home Robb Street, Georgetown.

Murdered: Clementine Fiedtkou-Parris

Sentenced to 81 years in prison each for the offense were: Orwin and Cleon Hinds, Roy Jacobs, and Kevin October. Following a case before Justice Navindra Singh in 2015, the 12 men were convicted of the offense by a 12-member jury.
Justice Singh imposed the 81-year prison term on all of them, with parole possible after serving at least 45 years.
The men have all professed their innocence, and as a result, have filed an appeal against their conviction and sentence.

During a case management conference on Thursday, the Court of Appeal set timelines for filing submissions from the lawyers of the convicted killers and the prosecution. Thereafter, the Court will begin hearing the case which will be presided over by the acting Chancellor of the Judiciary, Justice Yonette Cummings-Edwards and Appeal Magistrates Dawn Gregory and Rishi Persaud.
Attorney-at-law George Thomas represents Orwin Hinds, while Roy Jacobs is represented by Attorney-in-law Dexter Todd. Attorney-in-Law Adrian Thompson appears on behalf of Kevin October and Cleon Hinds. Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions (CPD), Teshana James-Lake is appearing on behalf of the State.
According to the charge faced by the men, on June 30, 2011, they assassinated Fiedtkou-Parris under an arrangement where money was intended to be transferred from one person to another.
The elderly woman was shot and killed that night at her 42 Robb Street, Georgetown home. Media reports are that two men went to the woman’s home asking for “Aunt”. When the elderly woman came out of her bedroom, one of them pulled out a gun and shot her several times to her upper body.
They fled the scene in a waiting motor car while the elderly woman was rushed to Georgetown Public Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. It is believed that a bitter property dispute could have motivated her to kill.

Previous articleFormer Editor-in-Chief, broadcaster to head GPF’s PR Department