A family of four is homeless after a Sunday morning fire gutted the house they were renting at 94 BC Eccles, Demerara East Bank.
The house is located in the street just before the Industrial Site.
According to residents in the area, the fire started around 08:30h. Thick black smoke was seen emanating from the front room of the house.
The fire spread quickly to other parts of the house before surrounding the entire building. Neighboring houses were not affected by the fire and were eventually put out by the Guyana Fire Service some 30 minutes later.
Samuel Ward, who lived in the house with his wife and two children, aged two and eight months, said his wife had warned him that the breaker box was aflame. The fire quickly spread to the ceiling and then to other parts of the house.
The couple had been living in this house for over a year now and their landlord lives abroad. Sunday afternoon, Ward said he is still trying to find out where the family would stay from now. The young children, however, were with their grandmother and their mother was trying to buy pampers and other essential items for the time being.