A fire suspected to be electrical in nature boiled a two-storey home located at Lot 94-CC Eccles, Demerara East Bank, Sunday morning. Displaced are 31-year-old Samuel Ward, his wife, Easter Joseph, and their two children, including an eight-month-old baby.

The fire as it engulfed the home

When Guyana Times visited the scene, Ward expressed that he was still trying to come up with the tragedy as Christmas was just around the corner. He recalled that he and his wife were about 08:30 hrs Sunday, in the lower apartment of the building when they heard their baby crying.

The result of the early morning fire that left a family of four homeless

According to him, his wife left to tend to the young child, and upon reaching the front bedroom, he saw what he called the “cutter box” on fire. She said the woman had been alerted quickly. Ward noted that by the time he rushed upstairs, his wife was already making his way down with their children.
“When I go upstairs, she was already coming down with both kids. When I go up, the smoke was too thick in the bedroom. So, I said that boys’ lives were more important, ”said Ward, pointing out that he had rushed back with his family. He added that he and his family had been living in the rented property for the past four years.
The father of two said the fire service took about 30 minutes to reach the scene. By then, the fire had already spread and enclosed the entire building. Nearby houses were not affected by the fire. No one was injured from the fire. Meanwhile, the man’s wife and their two children are staying at a relative’s home, while he is considering their next move.

Previous articleConcerns raised…